Monday, March 31, 2008

Here is what Luke is up to



I have started woodworking a bit. What I mean by woodworking is more furniture and less birdhouses and rough carpentry. My first project is a mission or craftsman style sofa table. The table is about 50"x17"x28" tall. I used red oak and all the joints are mortise and tenon joints. I am using General Finishes brand Prairie Wheat gel stain and General Finishes brand Armor Seal for the top coat. In total it will have one coat of stain and 5 coats of top coat. It is turning out pretty good for my first project. Heidi likes it and it will look nice in the entry way. I started it before I made this blog, so this is the only photo I have for now. The photo you see here is minus the top and bottom shelf. I have the two long pieces finished just to see how they look before I finish the rest of it. I have the whole thing just about finished now. I am pre-finishing before I glue it up because of all the nooks and crannies in this piece. By the way the little stack of pieces in the back corner are just sample pieces that I did to test some finishes. I will post more photos of it half finished and some photos of the finished project.

No comments: